Classroom & Instructional Planning
Each student that walks into your TK classroom brings their unique experiences and view of the world shaped by the knowledge and assets of their family culture. In addition, each student has their own learning needs and learning pace. An individualized approach is critical to ensuring your students are reaching their highest potential. Additionally, TK students learn best in classroom environments that encourage activity and connections between content areas.
This section of the website offers resources in the following areas:
- creating a lively and developmentally appropriate classroom environment;
- practical guidance in integrated and differentiated instruction;
- ways to ensure instruction is culturally responsive and relevant;
- important background on assessments to enrich student learning; and
- theme-based and integrated sample lesson planning.
As an additional resource to help guide developmentally appropriate TK instruction, WestEd and the Child Development Division of the California Department of Education developed a publication that aligns the Preschool Learning Foundations with the Kindergarten Common Core State Standards. Find the publication here.