Learn with Us
Webinars and Resources on Expanded TK
Webinars on Expanded TK
As part of a clarification in the 2015-16 budget bill, school districts across California now have another local option to get more 4 year olds ready for kindergarten: expanding transitional kindergarten. Expanded TK is a flexible and cost-effective local option for school districts to offer school readiness opportunities to children who otherwise would not be able to enroll in TK, and who might not have access to other preschool programs in their community.
Expanding Transitional Kindergarten Webinar
Early Edge California would like to learn more about individual districts’ knowledge of ETK and their plans for use of new funds that support ETK. We are asking early education administrators to take a moment to complete a brief survey about ETK.
This survey is an opportunity for district administrators to tell us about the types of resources and support that will be most helpful. Your responses to these questions will not be published.
On December 17, 2015, Early Edge California and the California Department of Education (CDE) hosted a webinar that provided an overview of expanded transitional kindergarten funding. On the webinar, the CDE provided an overview of how Expanded TK works, School Services of California gave a preview of upcoming fiscal tools for districts to model TK expansion options and costs, and information was presented on district experiences with TK expansion.
Calculating Costs for Expanded Transitional Kindergarten Webinar
On January 26, 2016, Early Edge California and School Services of California hosted a webinar introducing the new "ETK Cost-Benefit Calculator" to help districts and charter schools model costs for expanding transitional kindergarten. In this webinar, Patti Herrera and Matt Phillips of School Services provided a brief overview of a free fiscal tool, using real-time examples to show how this simple calculator can help you consider multiple options. In addition, Early Edge President Deborah Kong gave an update on the latest early education funding proposals from Sacramento.
Additional resources to help you consider and plan TK expansion
- California Department of Education Management Bulletin and Frequently Asked Questions on expanded funding for TK
- California State Superintendent of Public Instruction letter to school district leaders
- If you are a School Services of California client, it will field your fiscal questions through the "Ask SSC” feature on its website
- School Services Expanded TK Cost-Benefit Calculator (available to SSC clients and non-clients)
- American Institutes for Research study showing positive outcomes for children enrolled in TK
- Early Edge California policy brief, Getting Students Ready: Expanding Transitional Kindergarten
- Early Edge California one-page Expanded TK Information Sheet
- Early Edge California ETK One-pager for Districts and Charters
- Early Edge Webinar on Using the ETK Cost-Benefit Calculator Webinar Recording and Presentation Slides